I found the most perfect fabric for the backing - an amazing wide Echino linen (blend?) spot in a brilliant loud pink.
Good friends, I think.
I had a lot of help this morning. Fergus seems to be determined to lose his whiskers.
He already thinks the top looks very inviting.
We had quite a battle over the batting.
I got rather a large piece of batting to use for at least two quilts, and had quite a lot of trouble getting it trimmed to size.
Nothing to do with the batting... the brawl going on between my furry assistants made the job very difficult. This batting is a high quality poly batting that feels very soft and dense. Apart from teeth and claws, it was so easy to work with. I usually choose wool or cotton, but this is actually brilliant stuff. I got it at Cottonfields.
I usually pin baste on the hard floor in the hall, but this quilt is too wide, so I just did it on the carpet and (gasp!) didn't tape the backing to the floor. It all sat together beautifully, and I methodically smoothed and pinned in quarters, working from the middle outwards.
Mr Mouse decided to test the quilt in the early stages too. He approved.
So I pinned and pinned and pinned. I really don't enjoy pinning.
But it is worth it because now the fun begins. As I pinned I considered how to quilt this. I am going to stitch around all of the different patches so that there are frames on the reverse, and then I will free motion quilt inside the frames to suit each fabric design. Hopefully this will result in an interesting quilting pattern on the reverse side. Yes - lots and lots of fun!