We have an almost success! I say almost because unfortunately the fit is not perfect. The bodice is too big and I remeasured myself and I have shrunk a bit more since my very recent last measurement. The hips are perfect. I will show you when I'm wearing it, but it was really cold today, and my dear photographer was busy. So here it is on Ruby. I am pleased with the sewing, but even on Ruby the fit is not good. I took in some extra through the waist, but had gaping at the back.
My first ever sweetheart neckline and all in one facing (self drafted following Gertie's instructions) went perfectly. This stretch cotton was amazing to work with.
On to the next one! I'm cutting a smaller size in the bodice, and will keep the skirt the same. I have some great tartan cotton. Sadly it isn't the lovely heavy stretch cotton, but I'm going to line the next edition as I have never done a lining before, so that should give it some weight.
Saturday, 28 June 2014
When I decided to blog about my sewing activities I thought maybe I'd have a few disasters along the way. Well, sorry to say Project One - Vogue 8875 - the dress - was so damn ugly I aborted that mission at the muslin stage. I am curvy, and my waist is most definitely the area that needs to be nipped in to avoid making me look like the side of a house. V8875 has no nipping, and the bodice is quite blousy (read "sack like"). The coat, which does nip in at the waist, would be a better proposition, so all is not lost.
So back to the pattern shop, and after perusing the latest catalogues, I purchased this pattern for Project Two - Vogue 8998 - described promisingly as "Vogue Easy Options."
Take a look at the freaky fit on this bodice. Ruby, my loyal assistant, is my size. I know cause she got a good once over with the tape measure after this fiasco occurred.
Enter Project Three. Gertie's Sultry Sheath. I do think the photograph of this dress doesn't do it justice, and Gertie acknowledges that the satin is difficult to photograph. I have the pattern so no more financial outlay is required. And I'm desperate to have a success. Gertie will hold my hand all the way with her instructions and diagrams. Wish me luck!
Monday, 16 June 2014
In order to chill out after school I like to do a bit of crafting with a favourite DVD playing and a cup of tea. The current project is not quite as easy as it first looked.Gertie's blog, where I found she had tackled the same problem with another pattern. So this is what I ended up with once I had followed Gertie's instructions.
Meanwhile, Season Two of Downton Abbey played. I LOVE the costumes. Here are some evening dresses from Season Two. The lavish fabrics are so fascinating and divine, and the dress cuts are so flattering. Of course the three sisters are all slender. No hormonal munchies downstairs in the kitchen for these ladies.
Lady Cora wears the most beautiful gowns too. I wonder what ladies of the Downton Abbey era with a generous bosom wore? A corset to squash everything down probably.
I should be able to do a bodice fitting before long.
Sunday, 15 June 2014
Project One: Vogue 8875 - Sheath Dress. This looks like a good place to start.
Because I am on the path to a tinier body I traced the pattern onto my pattern making material of choice, frost cloth. It is like a very thin interfacing, and I can see through it and write on it. I am now working on making a "toile" or "muslin" which is a mock up of the dress using crappy fabric. Some people use cheap and cheerful fabric to make a wearable muslin. I am using an old sheet that has been used as a painters dropcloth at some stage. It won't be pretty, but at least I will see if I should bother cutting up some fancier fabric.
The pattern requires me to add a wee square of fabric to reinforce the seams at the underarms front and back. Crickey! Even with the reassuring sight and sounds of Downton Abbey in the background, this business is trickier than making quilts.
Right, the next step is to have a go at the back bodice. It has the same little squares. Maybe some basting would be a good idea to manage the insertion of the bodice side panels. I know you'll be anxiously awaiting the next installment of Project One.
It is so lovely that you could join me here in my sewing space. I'll be recording my adventures as I create my own vintage wardrobe, and probably a few other vintage inspired goodies along the way. I'm not an experienced garment sewer, so you can expect some disasters along the way. Your advice is always welcome!
A little about me:
A little about me:
- I'm a curvy girl, but have shrunk a bit lately, and will hopefully continue to do so. I'm sure no matter what size I am, I'll still have to grapple with fitting issues, including full bust adjustments.
- I love fashions from 1900 through to the 1950's. The fit and flare styles of the 1950's suit my body quite well with the small waist and bigger bust and hips.
- I have made lots of quilts, so can handle my sewing machine pretty well.
- I'm not so good with printed patterns, with a history of failures in my wake. Get ready for a bumpy ride!